Pages

Monday, November 21, 2022

Be Still, My Soul



My favorite hymn is “Be Still, My Soul”. This hymn deeply touches me each time I hear it. In fact, I’ve never been able to sing all the verses, because I get so overcome.


The words to this poignant hymn were written 270 years ago by a German woman who was expressing her strong and, for that time, radical belief that people should live their personal faith. A hundred years later it was translated into English, but it wasn’t until fifty more years passed when it was combined with a tune from “Finlandia'' that it became one of the most beloved hymns in all Christianity.  The tune was written by Finland’s greatest composer to express his love for his country and his desire to be free from the Russian influence over Finland. 


This last year as I am battling cancer, the words of “Be Still, My Soul” have been a great comfort to me. They remind me not to worry or be afraid because Heavenly Father and our Savior, who have all power, know and love me. They know what is best for me, and will always be there to guide me and strengthen me, so that I can make it through all the challenging times in my life. It reminds me to have patience and faith in the Lord’s plan for me, for someday I will understand all the reasons for my challenges and know that it has all been for my good. This hymn reminds me to remember all the help He has given me in the past, and to have unshakable hope and faith that He will continue to help me in the future. “Be Still, My Soul” comforts me that after He has helped me learn and grow here on this earth, our Savior will heal my sorrows and bring me safely back to my eternal home to live in peace and joy with Him and those I love.


No comments:

Post a Comment